28.4.08

Why open Antony & Cleopatra’s tomb?

Rome:Archaeologists are set to test the theory about whether or not Cleopatra and her lover Mark Antony are buried together by opening their 2,000-year-old tomb later this year. The remains of Cleopatra and Antony are said to be inside a temple called Tabusiris Magna, which lies 30km from the port city of Alexandria in northern Egypt.

- - -

I would prefer they did not conduct any such tests. I like my fiction. I like the story of power, of love, of destruction, of defeat, of deceit…and then a greater love…

Cleopatra: If it be love indeed, tell me how much.

Mark Antony: There's beggary in the love that can be reckon'd.

Cleopatra: I'll set a bourn how far to be beloved.

Mark Antony: Then must thou needs find out new heaven, new earth.

- - -

Quotes: From Shakespeare’s Antony and Cleopatra.

Image: From the film Cleopatra starring Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton, and Rex Harrison as Julius Caesar.

3 comments:

  1. The film was very good but I did not like Liz Taylor.Reading Shakespeare sonnets now

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked Liz Talor but did not like her associate (he/she?).

    Nor did I like Ceaser getting his stupid fits and he was so old and tired. Not fit for Lizzie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. KB:

    Oh, the sonnets...I hated them when i had to read them and then I loved them.

    Amandeep:

    "associate"? When will you talk about the corporation and Liz Taylor Inc?!!

    Arre, Caesar was old...he wasn't all that tired. They had a son...

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.